The mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last February haunts all of us. But for those who lost loved ones, their grief has been made worse by what they say are the missteps, inaction, and lack of empathy from the Broward County Public Schools and its leader. Here, Education Week looks closely at the rift between the Parkland community and the school district:
A Broken Trust
Live, real-time access to school camera systems could improve police response to tragedies. But law-enforcement surveillance in public schools could also have negative consequences. (December 13, 2018)
• Special Report Special Ed.: Practice & Pitfalls
Commentary: Nina Parrish
After the election, the teachers who organized the walkouts have a challenge: How will they continue to motivate and sustain the energy of teachers now that there's no big event to organize around? What will be their next step? (December 10, 2018)
The vast majority of ed-tech licenses are not used ”intensively” by districts, according to a new analysis sponsored by the company Brightbytes. This story is from EdWeek Market Brief, a service offering business and school leaders actionable insights about the K-12 marketplace. (December 7, 2018)
National Content Partners
Some teachers trapped by debt get Education Department help (12/11 06:20 pm)
Regional News Partners
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Chief Academic Officer
- Creative Minds International PCS, Washington D.C.
- Head of School
- The Lab School of Washhington, Washington D.C.
- Teachers Needed at Top International Schools in China & Hong Kong! All Grades/Subjects
- Edvectus, China (CN)
- Principal - Middle School
- MARANA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT, Tucson, Arizona
- Assistant Superintendent of Data, Intervention and Supports
- Kirkwood School District, Saint Louis, Missouri