Teacher Salaries, Looking at Comparable Jobs
Teacher compensation has emerged as a major issue in efforts to strengthen the teaching profession and boost student learning.
Experts have argued that relatively low earnings pose an impediment to recruiting top-notch candidates and retaining talented veterans. The challenges may be especially severe in such fields as mathematics and science, where jobs in the private sector can command particularly high wages.
Although analysts have repeatedly attempted to examine the competitiveness of teacher pay, a variety of factors complicate this line of research. Nuances include whether teachers are nine-month or 12-month workers, whether fringe benefits should be considered in addition to salary, and whether to analyze hourly,...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Subscribe to Education Week
You Save 20% or More!
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL