To develop this interactive database, the EdWeek Library tracked news reports on school resource officers from May 2020 through this month. The figures reported here are probably an undercount, since not all changes may have been captured by local media.
- Ended - School officials decided to end their contract with local police for school police officers or to disband their own police division.
- Budget cut - The district significantly decreased their budget for school police, but did not remove all police from schools.
- Alternate - School officials have not yet removed police, but implemented different plans to try to address community concerns about police and discipline in schools.
- Unknown - No decision has been made yet.
- Considered: kept SROs - School officials discussed removing SROs from schools but decided not to.
Source: Student body data is from the National Center for Education Statistics, 2019-2020.
Got any feedback for us? Want us to add your district? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Data visualization by Creative Director Laura Baker