This page will be updated when new information becomes available.
The COVID-19 pandemic is poised to make the 2020-21 school year as challenging—if not more so—than the last. The virus shuttered nearly every school building last spring in a historic disruption of education. Schools were forced to shift to distance learning nearly overnight.
As the coronavirus continues to ravage different regions, K-12 leaders may be forced to close and reopen for in-person instruction as infection rates ebb and flow.
This national map tracks each state’s mandates on K-12 in-person instruction due to the coronavirus.
Some states may not weigh in at all on school operations, leaving the decisions entirely to local education and public health leaders. As states’ statuses change over the course of the academic year, we will provide updates.
As of April 5, at least 12 states require in-person instruction to be available in all or some grades either full- or part-time.
Search the table for more nuanced descriptions of what’s happening in each state.
State-by-State Map of Where School Buildings Are Opened or Closed
Updated Feb. 10, 2021
- No order (Yellow) - In-person instruction decisions are currently being made on a local level, with states only providing guidelines or recommendations.
- Full closure (Dark Red) - In-person instruction is not allowed.
- Ordered open (Blue) - In-person instruction must be available to all students, either full- or part-time.
- Partial closure (Light Red) – Full-time in-person instruction is either not allowed in certain regions of the state or is only available for certain age groups. Hybrid instruction may be allowed.
- Some grades ordered open (Light Blue) - In-person instruction must be available for certain grade levels, either full- or part-time.
State enrollment numbers are from the National Center for Education Statistics. They are from the 2018-19 school year and include adult education students.
Download This State-by-State Building Reopening Data
Downloadable data will be updated once a week.
Data file last updated: April 9, 2021 4:50pm ET
For media or research inquiries about this table and data, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To contribute data or information, use the comments below.
How to Cite This Page
Map: Where Has COVID-19 Closed Schools? Where Are They Open? (2020, July 28). Education Week. Retrieved Month Day, Year from https://www.edweek.org/leadership/map-where-are-schools-closed/2020/07
Reporting/Analysis: Education Week staff
Design/Visualization: Emma Patti Harris