The Houston school district is suspending its “classroom breakfast” program this week, following a state review that found inadequate procedures for accounting for the meals served.
Superintendent Abelardo Saavedra said in announcing the move that the program, which operates in 40 schools this year, will be reinstated only after training and if the decisionmaking committees at individual schools want to resume it.
District officials do not yet know whether they will have to reimburse the federal government for the improperly counted breakfasts. The district’s regular cafeteria program remains the major source of breakfast for children in the district, serving 8.4 million meals, or about twice as many as are eaten in the classroom.
Inspectors from the Texas Department of Agriculture visited six Houston schools last month and found problems with the way meals were accounted for at five of them.
Mr. Saavedra also said state officials found problems in the district’s after-school snack program, which is now under review.
A version of this article appeared in the February 16, 2005 edition of Education Week