News in Brief
Pa. District Settles Lawsuit Over Webcam Surveillance
A suburban Philadelphia school district agreed last week to pay $610,000 to settle two lawsuits over secret photos taken on school-issued laptop computers.
The Lower Merion district acknowledges that it captured thousands of webcam photos and screen shots from student laptops in an effort to locate missing computers. One of the students who sued had been photographed 400 times in a two-week period, according to his lawyer.
The FBI investigated whether the district broke any criminal wiretap laws, but prosecutors declined to bring charges.
Vol. 30, Issue 08, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Teach/Work in Indian Country
- www.Indian-Ed.com, US
- Executive Director
- California Collaborative for Educational Excellence (CCEE), CA
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL