News in Brief
Pa. District Settles Lawsuit Over Webcam Surveillance
A suburban Philadelphia school district agreed last week to pay $610,000 to settle two lawsuits over secret photos taken on school-issued laptop computers.
The Lower Merion district acknowledges that it captured thousands of webcam photos and screen shots from student laptops in an effort to locate missing computers. One of the students who sued had been photographed 400 times in a two-week period, according to his lawyer.
The FBI investigated whether the district broke any criminal wiretap laws, but prosecutors declined to bring charges.
Vol. 30, Issue 08, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA