Safety and Violence
The latest news about safety and violence in schools, including articles, Commentaries, and special features.
On Feb. 14, 2018, a former student opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., killing 17 and sending hundreds fleeing into the streets. It would become the third-deadliest school shooting in the nation's history. (February 15, 2018)
EDUCATION WEEK EXPERTS
A collection of free virtual broadcasts, including upcoming and on-demand webinars.
On Feb. 14, 2018, a former student opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., killing 17 and sending hundreds fleeing into the streets. It would become the third-deadliest school shooting in the nation's history.
The Newtown School Shootings
Education Week's coverage of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., and their aftermath.
A Lingering Shame: Sexual Abuse of Students by School Employees
This special collection of stories assembles reporting on a problem that is only sporadically recognized as a national issue.
Columbine: 10 Years Later
A decade on, this collection looks at the events, survivors, and lessons gleaned from the attack at a Colorado high school.
The Virginia Tech Shootings
The mass slaying at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute revived vexing questions and raised familiar fears for K-12 educators across the country.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Principal, Northview High School
- Dothan City Schools, Dothan, Alabama
- High School Principal
- Garfield School District Re-2, Rifle, Colorado
- Vice President for Academic Services
- Oklahoma School of Science and Math, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Charter School Teachers
- RCMA Charter Schools, Immokalee, Florida
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts