The Council of Chief State School Officers, a nonpartisan group of education chiefs across the country, has released a.
The group identifies six key strategies states should consider to recruit, prepare, and support teachers:
• Elevate the teaching profession to combat the view that teachers are held in low regard.
• Make teaching a financially appealing career.
• Expand pathways to enter teaching, from targeting high school students to military veterans.
• Bring more diversity to the teaching workforce.
• Set reasonable expectations for retaining teachers and rethink policies that align with young workers’ career expectations.
Use data to target strategies where shortages exist.
A version of this article appeared in the December 13, 2017 edition of Education Week as Teacher Recruitment