Law & Courts

Charter Fights for Life, But Stops Short of Court

By Erik W. Robelen — January 03, 2006 1 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

While charter schools sometimes resort to lawsuits to stymie efforts to shut them down, many others wage their fights with less dramatic weapons, such as administrative appeals.

A case in point played out recently in Rhode Island, where a charter school won a last-minute reprieve last summer to stay open after a lengthy appeal process, thanks in part to intervention by the local mayor and even the governor.

But it was a close call. In August, a state hearing officer affirmed an earlier judgment by the Rhode Island Department of Education that Beacon Charter High School for the Arts should close.

The problems were financial.

“Its academic programs were fine,” said Elliott Krieger, a spokesman for the state education agency. “They met all their annual targets on testing, and then some.”

But in its second year of operation, the school of some 115 students in Woonsocket, a city in northern Rhode Island, ran a large deficit. The state agreed to bail the school out last year under an agreement calling for it to shut down this past summer, unless the school had a financially viable plan to stay open.

“They didn’t come up with the plan that this office felt was suitable by the end of the [school] year,” Mr. Krieger said.

Despite that earlier agreement and the hearing officer’s ruling, the school appealed to the Board of Regents for Elementary and Secondary Education, Rhode Island’s sole body for authorizing charter schools.

The regents voted in August to keep the school open, subject to several financial changes, including getting a letter of credit from a financial backer. Also, the school must now undergo quarterly financial reviews by the regents.

‘On Probation’

The school also has a new principal: Robert Pilkington, the president of the League of Rhode Island Charter Schools.

“The process works,” Mr. Pilkington said of the experience with threatened closure. “It was a painful process, and it was a public process.”

He added that the school isn’t exactly free and clear. “We are on probation,” he said.

Mr. Pilkington, formerly a principal in the Providence city school district, argues that such scrutiny is the fundamental difference with charters.

“When the city of Providence [school system] goes $14 million over budget, nobody is saying, you have to close your system,” he said.

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Hidden Costs of Special Ed Vacancies: Solutions for Your District
When provider vacancies hit, students feel it first. Hear what district leaders are doing to keep IEP-related services on track.
Content provided by Huddle Up
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Privacy & Security Webinar
How Technology Is Reshaping Childhood
How do we protect kids online while embracing innovation? Learn about navigating safety, privacy, and opportunity in the Digital Age.
Content provided by Connect x Protect
Budget & Finance Webinar Creative Approaches to K-12 Budget Realities
What are districts prioritizing in 2026? New survey data reveals emerging K-12 budgeting trends.

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Law & Courts Birthright Citizenship Case Raises Stakes for Schools and Undocumented Students
Educators are paying close attention to the case on Trump's birthright citizenship order.
10 min read
President Donald Trump signs an executive order on birthright citizenship in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Jan. 20, 2025.
President Donald Trump signs an executive order on birthright citizenship in the Oval Office of the White House on Jan. 20, 2025. The order, now before the U.S. Supreme Court, seeks to limit citizenship for some children born in the United States to immigrant parents without permanent legal status.
Evan Vucci/AP
Law & Courts Appeals Court Revives Lawsuit Over 1st Grader’s Black Lives Matter Drawing
A court revived a 1st grader 's claim she was punished for giving a drawing to a Black classmate.
4 min read
Seen is the drawing made by Viejo Elementary School first-grader B.B. that was entered into evidence. B.B. gave the drawing to her classmate, M.C., who is African American. M.C. thanked B.B.
Pictured is a drawing by a 1st grader in California and given to a Black classmate that is at the center of a First Amendment legal challenge over the student's alleged punishment.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
Law & Courts Supreme Court’s Gender Identity Ruling Leaves Schools Seeking Clarity
Advocates say they would welcome more from the Supreme Court on gender-notification policies.
7 min read
The Supreme Court is photographed, Friday, Feb. 27, 2026, in Washington.
The Supreme Court is photographed, Friday, Feb. 27, 2026, in Washington. The high court recently ruled that California policies that sometimes limit or discourage schools from disclosing information to parents about children’s gender transitions and expressions at school likely violate parents’ constitutional rights
Rahmat Gul/AP
Law & Courts Supreme Court Backs Parents in School Gender Disclosure Fight
The Supreme Court restored an injunction blocking California policies on student gender transitions
8 min read
Teacher’s aide Amelia Mester, wrapped in a Pride flag, urges Escondido Union High School District not to have employees notify parents if they believe a student may be transgender in November 2025. A policy on the issue in the city’s elementary school district is the subject of a federal class-action lawsuit in which a judge just sided against the district.
Teacher’s aide Amelia Mester, wrapped in a Pride flag, urges Escondido Union High School District not to have employees notify parents if they believe a student may be transgender at a meeting in November 2025. Two parents and two teachers from the district sued in 2023, challenging California state guidance concerning student gender transitions and parental notification. The U.S. Supreme Court has now reinstated a lower-court decision overturning those state policies.
Charlie Neuman for The San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS