Early Childhood

Head Start to Cull Low-Performing Centers

By Christina A. Samuels — April 16, 2013 1 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Twenty-five of 125 low-performing Head Start providers that went through a recompetition process to maintain federal funding are losing their entire service areas, the federal office of Head Start says—although the office has yet to release the names of those centers.

That’s because the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees Head Start, says it is still in negotiations with potential new grantees. Until those negotiations are concluded, the providers that are losing their funding may end up having a chance to recompete for a piece of the $7.6 billion early-childhood-education program.

The final list of new and returning grantees will be released in July, according to the Head Start office.

Fourteen grantees, also as yet unnamed, will see the money they receive now split between new and existing providers, and 80 providers will continue to receive their existing funds, according to Head Start.

In all, 160 prospective providers are in negotiations to cover the areas that were once served by the 125 organizations.

In six cases, the current Head Start grantee was the only one that applied for the federal money, but the federal reviewers determined those programs did not meet quality standards. In those cases, the HHS plans to reopen the competition this spring, but allow those providers to continue operating for the time being.

Head Start announced in 2011 that some grant recipients would have to recompete for funding. Among them were the Los Angeles County office of education; the New Haven, Conn., and Pittsburgh school systems; and the city of Detroit.

The competition process marked the first time in the program’s 48-year history that providers had been asked to reapply for federal aid. The government has always had the authority to pull funds for health and safety reasons, or if there was evidence of fiscal mismanagement. But in most cases, the grants have been automatically renewed.

Head Start is now moving to a five-year grant process, so that no provider will be getting money in perpetuity without a review, said George Sheldon, the acting assistant secretary for the federal administration for children and families, in a press call.

A version of this article appeared in the April 17, 2013 edition of Education Week as Head Start Program Culls Some Centers

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Bridging the Math Gap: What’s New in Dyscalculia Identification, Instruction & State Action
Discover the latest dyscalculia research insights, state-level policy trends, and classroom strategies to make math more accessible for all.
Content provided by TouchMath
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School Climate & Safety Webinar
Belonging as a Leadership Strategy for Today’s Schools
Belonging isn’t a slogan—it’s a leadership strategy. Learn what research shows actually works to improve attendance, culture, and learning.
Content provided by Harmony Academy
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
Too Many Initiatives, Not Enough Alignment: A Change Management Playbook for Leaders
Learn how leadership teams can increase alignment and evaluate every program, practice, and purchase against a clear strategic plan.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Early Childhood Kids Are Entering Preschool More Comfortable With Screens Than Books. What Now?
Screen time is rising among the youngest students. Experts explain its effect on literacy skills.
4 min read
Celenia Romero reads to her Prek-5 students in the library at CentroNia in Washington, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025.
Celenia Romero reads to her Prek-5 students in the library at CentroNia in Washington, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025. Many preschoolers struggle with handling books as screen use rises, raising early literacy concerns.
Jacquelyn Martin/AP
Early Childhood Q&A Federal Funding Cuts Come for Big Bird: What’s Ahead for PBS Kids?
Federal funding cuts threaten early education media. PBS Kids executive Sara DeWitt explains how.
7 min read
PBS Kids show characters including the title character from "Arthur" decorate boxes at the Arizona PBS offices in Phoenix, May 2, 2025.
PBS Kids show characters including the title character from "Arthur" decorate boxes at the Arizona PBS offices in Phoenix, May 2, 2025. Federal funding cuts have put the educational content at PBS Kids in jeopardy, officials say.
AP Photo/Katie Oyan
Early Childhood Play-Based Learning Yields More Joy, Higher Scores at This Elementary School
Teachers who have incorporated guided play into their lessons say they've seen students thrive.
7 min read
Two girls using dice in math lesson.
E+
Early Childhood Q&A How One Mayor Is Working to Expand Pre-K Access
Mayor Brett Smiley discusses early education access and workforce development.
5 min read
Providence Mayor Brett Smiley speaks during a session at the New England Mayors Convening on Universal Pre-K in Providence, R.I., on Nov. 19, 2025.
Providence Mayor Brett Smiley speaks during a session at the New England Mayors Convening on Universal Pre-K in Providence, R.I., on Nov. 19, 2025.
David Santilli/City of Providence