News in Brief
Ex-Obama Adviser to Leave 'New Leaders' CEO Post
Jon Schnur, a former top K-12 adviser to the Obama presidential campaign, announced last week that he is planning to transition out of his role as chief executive officer of New Leaders for New Schools, a New York City-based nonprofit that trains principals for work in underresourced schools. He co-founded the group in 2000 and is set to become its board chairman.
Jean Desravines, who currently serves as New Leaders’ chief officer for cities and policy, will be taking the helm as CEO.
Mr. Schnur, who led the development of the $4 billion Race to the Top initiative, said he will help New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg develop a new philanthropic strategy aimed at improving education.
And, separately, he’ll be starting a new nonprofit initiative set to launch in the fall. He said the new organization’s purpose will be to identify and act on strategies that nonprofit groups and philanthropies can use to “effectively drive comprehensive reform” of education systems.
Vol. 30, Issue 15, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Tennessee State Teacher Fellows Program Director
- Hope Street Group, TN
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX