Virtual-Teacher Training Seen to Lack Consistency
While the teacher training for online educators lacks consistency and structure at the state and national levels, long-running virtual school programs have learned much about what online teachers need to know to succeed.
Providing ongoing training in both formal and informal ways, pairing first-year teachers with mentors, and putting rookie virtual teachers in the student’s seat are key elements of comprehensive professional development for online teachers, experts say.
Although some schools of education have begun to include training for online teaching, most do not, said Lisa Dawley, an educational technology professor and researcher at Boise...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- 9-12 Social Studies/PE & Health Teacher #349
- Nye County School District, Pahrump, NV
- Chief Schools Officer - International Baccalaureate (IB)
- International Baccalaureate, Bethesda, MD
- Superintendent of Schools
- Orleans Parish School District, New Orleans, LA
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO