News in Brief
'No' Vote on Mayoral Control
The Detroit City Council decided in a 6-3 vote last month not to put the question of mayoral control of city schools on the November ballot. U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Michigan Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm, a Democrat, had both publicly urged the board to let voters decide whether to shift control of the city's troubled schools from the 11-member elected board of education to the mayor.
Vol. 29, Issue 37, Page 5
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
- Roanoke City Public Schools, Roanoke, VA
- Christ the King Preparatory School, NJ
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Regional Area Partner
- Focus EduVation, US
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX