News in Brief
'No' Vote on Mayoral Control
The Detroit City Council decided in a 6-3 vote last month not to put the question of mayoral control of city schools on the November ballot. U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Michigan Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm, a Democrat, had both publicly urged the board to let voters decide whether to shift control of the city's troubled schools from the 11-member elected board of education to the mayor.
Vol. 29, Issue 37, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Vice President, Teacher Preparation Strategies
- National Council on Teacher Quality, Washington, DC
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA