News in Brief
'No' Vote on Mayoral Control
The Detroit City Council decided in a 6-3 vote last month not to put the question of mayoral control of city schools on the November ballot. U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Michigan Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm, a Democrat, had both publicly urged the board to let voters decide whether to shift control of the city's troubled schools from the 11-member elected board of education to the mayor.
Vol. 29, Issue 37, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations