Federal

Memo Suggests Education Could Be in Line for Spending Cuts

June 09, 2004 2 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

A preliminary White House budget document suggests that, if re-elected, President Bush would request about $1.5 billion less for the Department of Education in fiscal 2006 than he is seeking for the coming year.

But a spokesman for the White House Office of Management and Budget says the internal memorandum in question is “purely a process document” that does not reflect any budgetary decisions.

The May 19 OMB memo, first publicly disclosed by The Washington Post, provides planning guidance to all federal agencies as they begin preparing submissions for the fiscal 2006 budget, which will go to Congress in February 2005.

“Continuing the strategy of last year’s budget, the 2006 budget will constrain discretionary and mandatory spending while supporting national priorities: winning the war on terror, protecting the homeland, and strengthening the economy,” the memo says.

It instructs federal agencies to assume that all accounts are funded at the 2006 level specified in an internal OMB budget database. That document sets discretionary budget authority for the Education Department at $55.9 billion, a decline of $1.5 billion, or 3 percent, from President Bush’s request for fiscal 2005.

“If you propose to increase funding above that level for any account, it must be offset within your agency by proposing to decrease funding below that level in other accounts so that, in total, your request does not exceed the 2006 level assumed for the agency,” the memo says.

‘Give and Take’

J.T. Young, an OMB spokesman, says the memo is not the last word on budgetary matters.

“I want to make clear that this is a routine process document that’s put out every year,” he said. “This document in no way reflects any final decisions.”

The final budget request for education, he said, will be made over the next eight months, with give and take between OMB and the Education Department.

Mr. Young said a review of the previous eight years showed that every year, the final budget request for the Education Department was higher than the figures in the previous year’s projections.

He also noted that President Bush has a strong record of backing additional spending each year for the Education Department. For fiscal 2005, which begins Oct. 1, Mr. Bush proposes an increase of $1.7 billion, or 3 percent.

The memo has come under fire from leading Democrats.

Rep. John M. Spratt Jr. of South Carolina, the top Democrat on the House Budget Committee, wrote in a May 27 letter to his party colleagues that the “impending cuts” are “a direct result of the administration’s oversized tax cuts, the record-high deficits the Bush policies have generated, and the administration’s stated desire to ‘shrink’ the size of government.”

Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, discusses the memo on his campaign Web site under the headline: “Bush’s Secret Budget Cuts Exposed.”

A version of this article appeared in the June 09, 2004 edition of Education Week as Memo Suggests Education Could Be in Line for Spending Cuts

Events

Student Well-Being & Movement K-12 Essentials Forum How Schools Are Teaching Students Life Skills
Join this free virtual event to explore creative ways schools have found to seamlessly integrate teaching life skills into the school day.
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Bridging the Math Gap: What’s New in Dyscalculia Identification, Instruction & State Action
Discover the latest dyscalculia research insights, state-level policy trends, and classroom strategies to make math more accessible for all.
Content provided by TouchMath
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
Too Many Initiatives, Not Enough Alignment: A Change Management Playbook for Leaders
Learn how leadership teams can increase alignment and evaluate every program, practice, and purchase against a clear strategic plan.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal From Our Research Center Trump Shifted CTE to the Labor Dept. What Has That Meant for Schools?
What educators think of shifting CTE to another federal agency could preview how they'll view a bigger shuffle.
3 min read
Collage style illustration showing a large hand pointing to the right, while a small male pulls up an arrow filled with money and pushes with both hands to reverse it toward the right side of the frame.
DigitalVision Vectors + Getty
Federal Video Here’s What the Ed. Dept. Upheaval Will Mean for Schools
The Trump administration took significant steps this week toward eliminating the U.S. Department of Education.
1 min read
The U.S. Department of Education building is pictured in a double exposure on Oct. 24, 2025, in Washington, D.C.
The U.S. Department of Education building is pictured in a double exposure on Oct. 24, 2025, in Washington, D.C.
Maansi Srivastava for Education Week
Federal What State Education Chiefs Think as Trump Moves Programs Out of the Ed. Dept.
The department's announcement this week represents a consequential structural change for states.
6 min read
The U.S. Department of Education building is seen behind the Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial on Oct. 24, 2025 in Washington, D.C.
The U.S. Department of Education building is seen behind the Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial on Oct. 24, 2025 in Washington, D.C. The department is shifting many of its functions to four other federal agencies as the Trump administration tries to downsize it. State education chiefs stand to be most directly affected.
Maansi Srivastava for Education Week
Federal See Where the Ed. Dept.'s Programs Will Move as the Trump Admin. Downsizes
Programs overseen by the Ed. Dept. will move to agencies including the Department of Labor.
President Donald Trump signs an executive order regarding education in the Oval Office of the White House, Wednesday, April 23, 2025, in Washington, as Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer, and Education Secretary Linda McMahon watch.
President Donald Trump signs an executive order regarding education in the Oval Office of the White House on April 23, 2025, as Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer, and Education Secretary Linda McMahon watch. The Trump administration on Tuesday announced that it's sending many of the Department of Education's K-12 and higher education programs to other federal agencies.
Alex Brandon/AP