Federal

Congress Delays Education Budget Decision

By Joetta L. Sack — November 08, 2000 3 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Congress opted last week not to pass a final fiscal 2001 education spending plan until after Election Day, leaving education groups fretting that proposed record-breaking funding increases for schools may slip through their hands.

Early last week, what looked to be a concrete agreement on education spending fell through, and lawmakers made plans to leave Washington until after Tuesday’s elections. Deals on school construction, after-school programs, and hiring new teachers appeared to be in jeopardy, as the Senate approved a temporary spending measure to keep education programs funded at current levels until Nov. 14. The House was set to follow suit, which would necessitate a post- election congressional session to finish the spending bill and a handful of other lingering items.

The plan—which was scuttled only hours after it was worked out—would have raised Department of Education spending by $7.5 billion, to $43.1 billion, a record 21 percent from the current $36.1 billion, according to the Committee for Education Funding. It also would have increased total spending under the Individual with Disabilities Education Act by about 27 percent, from $6 billion to $7.7 billion.

When members of Congress return to Washington to revisit the spending bill, they may feel less pressure to stick with their generous spending plans without Election Day looming, said Edward R. Kealy, the CEF’S executive director.

“We think there’s a big risk ... that we’ll see that increase shrink,” said Mr. Kealy, whose coalition of education groups lobbies for federal education aid. “We will expect Congress to honor this agreement and go back to these levels of funding, because we think that’s what the American people want.”

Republicans were not making any promises last week.

“I can’t predict what is going to happen, because lame-duck sessions are notoriously unpredictable,” said John Scofield, a spokesman for Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee.

Agreement Upended

The 2000 fiscal year ended Sept. 30, but at press time Congress had passed 13 “continuing resolutions” to keep the federal government running. While the huge spending bill that includes education, labor, and health programs is typically one of the last to be finished, it is unusual for the process to take as long as it has this year. In an election year, lawmakers generally try to finish business as early as possible to go home to campaign.

This year, though, was different, because congressional Republicans believed that there was a good chance voters would elect their party’s presidential nominee, Gov. George W. Bush of Texas, and that the GOP would retain majority status in at least one chamber of Congress.

Such considerations reduced the leverage that President Clinton, already in his final months in office, normally has enjoyed in budget showdowns with the GOP.

Still, lawmakers had been close to sending Mr. Clinton a spending plan for the departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education. Negotiators reached a budget compromise on Oct. 29, but it was upended in the early hours of Oct. 30, when Republican leaders decided to take out a provision unrelated to the education funding levels: a proposal that dealt with repetitive-stress injuries in the workplace. In retaliation, Mr. Clinton vetoed a spending plan for the legislative branch that included a pay raise for members of Congress that members considered part of the overall budget deal.

In a sharply worded letter to the president the next day, Speaker of the House J. Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., wrote: “Mr. President, we sent you the check, you cashed it, but you refuse to deliver the goods. As a result, Mr. President, you have added to legislative gridlock.”

Democrats quickly shot back.

“It is not too late to end this Halloween nightmare and begin a season of Thanksgiving,” Rep. Charles B. Rangel of New York, the ranking Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee and a strong proponent of the president’s school construction plan, said in a written statement. “All we ask is for reasonable compromises on these issues important to so many Americans.”

The spending plan for education would have accomplished many Democratic goals. It would have allotted $1.3 billion for school construction in a compromise that would have allocated a portion of the funding to pay interest on construction bonds and another portion for districts to spend in other areas, such as special education—a priority for the GOP.

It also would have provided $1 billion—up from $453 million—for the 21st Century Community Learning Centers initiative, which supports after-school and other activities. And, it would have funded Mr. Clinton’s class-size-reduction program at its current appropriation of $1.75 billion.

Related Tags:

A version of this article appeared in the November 08, 2000 edition of Education Week as Congress Delays Education Budget Decision

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Student Absenteeism Webinar
Attendance Isn't an Attendance Problem
Boost attendance by strengthening relationships, belonging, and support with practical strategies from Doug Fisher & Nancy Frey.
Content provided by Corwin
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
The Principal's Role in Collective Efficacy and Student Outcomes
Learn practical strategies that help principals translate their confidence into stronger collective teacher efficacy and student outcomes.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Q&A What Head Start's English-Only Rule Could Mean for English Learners
Research shows it's not necessary to lose a home language to learn English.
3 min read
Long Beach, CA - March 20 : Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach , a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, CA.
Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach, a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, Calif. Head Start programs for early childhood education will no longer promote bilingualism under a proposed rule change.
Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times via TNS
Federal After Months of Standstill, Ed. Dept. Announces New Federal Research Funding
The agency outlined its fiscal 2027 grantmaking amid questions about its sluggish spending.
7 min read
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington, D.C. on Friday, July 17, 2026.
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington on Friday, July 17, 2026. Federal funding for education research may be starting to flow, even as the overall spending picture remains unclear.
Eric Lee for Education Week
Federal Trump Signs Executive Order Calling for Spacing Out Childhood Vaccines
The order calls for splitting the MMR vaccine into three separate shots, a sequence not currently available in the U.S.
3 min read
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting to sign an executive order about vaccines, Monday, Aug. 10, 2026, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington.
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House on Aug. 10, 2026. Trump signed an executive order to change childhood vaccination schedules.
Jacquelyn Martin/ AP Photo
Federal Trump Overhaul Could Gut Head Start Preschool Standards
The plan would shrink Head Start's 100-plus pages of regulations to about a dozen.
5 min read
Children play during aftercare for the Head Start program at Easterseals South Florida, Jan. 29, 2025, in Miami.
Children play during aftercare for the Head Start program at Easterseals South Florida in Miami on Jan. 29, 2025. The Trump administration is preparing an overhaul of Head Start that would replace its 100 pages of regulations with about a dozen and leave many specifics on program operations up to state and local laws.
Rebecca Blackwell/AP Photo