The emergency financial manager for the Detroit public schools announced last week he plans to stay on for a second year to continue work on a “complete makeover” of the troubled district.
Robert C. Bobb, who was appointed in March by Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, said he wants to “finish what was started.” He was brought in to fix the district’s budget deficit, which stands at $259 million. He has closed 29 schools and is working to restructure the district to improve academics and boost enrollment while helping save money.
Mr. Bobb’s one-year, $260,000 contract ends March 1. He said financial details of his contract extension will be finalized later. Meanwhile, he was working to rally support for an ambitious $500.5 million building plan, Proposal S, to be voted on Nov. 3.
A version of this article appeared in the November 04, 2009 edition of Education Week as Emergency Manager to Stay On in Detroit