A Teacher's New Year's Resolution: Brag More
Last month, I joined a friend for dinner and drinks after her Chamber of Commerce "Wednesday Friendsday." Sitting at the martini bar amidst real estate agents and financial advisors, all of whom were strangers to me prior to that evening, I found myself continually excluded from the conversation. When they found out I was a high school English teacher, they realized I had nothing to offer them—no contacts, no business, no money. All they had for me were sympathetic shakes of their heads and a few patronizing quips.
"Not a lot of money in that."
"Ninth grade? I remember what I was like in 9th grade."
This article is available to registered guests only.
Register free, or login below, to continue reading.
To Access Teacher and Education Week Articles, FREE E-Newsletters, and More!
|FREE! (limited access)|
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Lawrence Family Development Charter School, Lawrence, MA
- Flagler County Public Schools, Bunnell, FL
- Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School, Lawrence, MA
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY