"Mass Math + Science Initiative"
A statewide program in Massachusetts aimed at improving math and science education is showing some evidence of success, with more students taking and passing Advanced Placement exams, finds an independent evaluation.
The 53 schools taking part in the Mass Math + Science Initiative have made "significant gains" in AP participation and pass rates when compared with their own baseline as well as with a set of comparable schools that did not offer the program, the study issued this month concludes.
The greatest benefits came for African-American and Hispanic students in both high-need schools and what the report calls "mid-need" schools. The results suggest a "tremendous untapped capacity" among the state's African-American and Hispanic students, says the report by the Institute for Strategic Leadership and Learning.
Mass Insight Education, which organized the initiative in partnership with the state and private funders, commissioned the study.
Vol. 31, Issue 26, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA