News in Brief
6 States Win Striving Readers Grants
Six states have won $180 million in federal grants to create comprehensive literacy plans for children from birth through 12th grade. That money, part of the federal government's Striving Readers literacy program, will be shared by Texas, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Georgia, Nevada, and Montana. Formula funding distributed last year facilitated the establishment of literacy teams in nearly every state, and those teams put together statewide literacy plans. About three dozen states applied for larger grants in the program's fifth and possibly final year.
Vol. 31, Issue 03, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Headmaster, K-8
- Jackson Hole Classical Academy, Jackson Hole, WY
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA