News in Brief
Virginia Governor Rolls out Teacher Merit-Pay Plan
Gov. Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia has invited 57 districts with struggling schools to apply for $3 million in state funding for merit pay.
Under the plan, a teacher could earn up to $5,000. At least 40 percent of each evaluation would be tied to student academic performance, including improvements in standardized-test scores, and schools would be required to adopt teacher-appraisal systems aligned with state-approved method.
Critics have said such merit-pay initiatives haven't boosted student performance.
Vol. 30, Issue 29, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Multiple Positions
- Township High School District 113, IL
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO