News in Brief
Virginia Governor Rolls out Teacher Merit-Pay Plan
Gov. Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia has invited 57 districts with struggling schools to apply for $3 million in state funding for merit pay.
Under the plan, a teacher could earn up to $5,000. At least 40 percent of each evaluation would be tied to student academic performance, including improvements in standardized-test scores, and schools would be required to adopt teacher-appraisal systems aligned with state-approved method.
Critics have said such merit-pay initiatives haven't boosted student performance.
Vol. 30, Issue 29, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Amityville Union Free School District, Amityville, NY
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL
- Superintendent - Talladega, AL
- Alabama Association of School Boards, Talladega, AL
- Director of Physical Education & Athletics
- Fallsburg Central School, Fallsburg, NY
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA