News in Brief
Virginia Governor Rolls out Teacher Merit-Pay Plan
Gov. Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia has invited 57 districts with struggling schools to apply for $3 million in state funding for merit pay.
Under the plan, a teacher could earn up to $5,000. At least 40 percent of each evaluation would be tied to student academic performance, including improvements in standardized-test scores, and schools would be required to adopt teacher-appraisal systems aligned with state-approved method.
Critics have said such merit-pay initiatives haven't boosted student performance.
Vol. 30, Issue 29, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Secondary Teachers
- Roaring Fork School District, Glenwood Spgs, CO
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Deputy Superintendent
- Blue Valley Schools, Overland Park, KS