News in Brief
Virginia Governor Rolls out Teacher Merit-Pay Plan
Gov. Robert F. McDonnell of Virginia has invited 57 districts with struggling schools to apply for $3 million in state funding for merit pay.
Under the plan, a teacher could earn up to $5,000. At least 40 percent of each evaluation would be tied to student academic performance, including improvements in standardized-test scores, and schools would be required to adopt teacher-appraisal systems aligned with state-approved method.
Critics have said such merit-pay initiatives haven't boosted student performance.
Vol. 30, Issue 29, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Chief Financial Officer
- Idaho Charter School Network, Boise, ID
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- City of Cape Coral Charter Schools, Cape Coral, FL
- Permanent Head of School
- The Greta Berman Arbetter Kazoo School, Kalamazoo, MI
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL