Schools Walk Into Touchy Territory With Civil War
Debates about the conflict persist in society
You don’t have to look far for examples of how the Civil War stirs public debate 150 years after it began.
A private “secession ball” in Charleston, S.C., pegged to the anniversary in February of the state’s declared exit from the Union, sparked a protest from the local NAACP chapter. In Virginia, Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, a Republican, got into trouble last year for issuing a proclamation on Confederate History Month...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Flagler County Public Schools, Bunnell, FL
- Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School, Lawrence, MA
- Lawrence Family Development Charter School, Lawrence, MA
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY