"Reforming Teacher Pensions for a Changing Work Force"
The structure of teacher-pension plans is putting states in fiscal danger and encouraging burned-out teachers to continue working, a report argues.
The examination by Education Sector, a Washington-based think tank, concludes that effective pension reform has to consider that many in the teaching profession do not remain in the field for decades. It says many of the benefits that are currently backloaded should be offered more evenly throughout a career or even toward the beginning to recruit more-effective teachers, even if those teachers are more likely to switch careers later.
Vol. 29, Issue 37, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Multiple Positions
- Township High School District 113, IL