News in Brief
U.S. Judge Says Chicago Schools Must Allow Transfers After Beating
A federal judge says Chicago public schools must arrange for the immediate transfer of students who want to leave a South Side high school after an honor student’s brutal beating death.
U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman’s ruling Nov. 16 came in a lawsuit filed against the district by 11 students who say they don’t feel safe at Christian Fenger Academy High School. Along with the transfers, the students want a judge to order the district to make Fenger safer.
Derrion Albert, a 16-year-old Fenger honor student, was beaten to death in September during a sprawling fight that was caught by a cellphone video camera.
Vol. 29, Issue 13, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Vice President, Teacher Preparation Strategies
- National Council on Teacher Quality, Washington, DC
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh