News in Brief
U.S. Judge Says Chicago Schools Must Allow Transfers After Beating
A federal judge says Chicago public schools must arrange for the immediate transfer of students who want to leave a South Side high school after an honor student’s brutal beating death.
U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman’s ruling Nov. 16 came in a lawsuit filed against the district by 11 students who say they don’t feel safe at Christian Fenger Academy High School. Along with the transfers, the students want a judge to order the district to make Fenger safer.
Derrion Albert, a 16-year-old Fenger honor student, was beaten to death in September during a sprawling fight that was caught by a cellphone video camera.
Vol. 29, Issue 13, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Co-Principal Vacancy
- Newport City Elementary School, Newport, VT
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Superintendent of Schools
- Levittown Public Schools, Levittown, NY