News in Brief
D.C. Teachers’ Union Officials Urge Rejection of Rhee’s Buyout Offer
Some teachers’ union officials in Washington are urging educators at 50 schools slated for closure or academic overhaul in the nation’s capital to reject a buyout offer announced earlier this month by Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee that would let up to 700 teachers accept bonuses ranging from $1,000 to $20,000 in exchange for leaving in June.
Washington Teachers’ Union officials say teachers are upset that Ms. Rhee dropped an initial proposal to offer an “early out” program to those nearing retirement. Candi Peterson, a member of the union’s board of trustees, criticized the buyout program, saying it encourages young and midlevel teachers to resign.
Vol. 27, Issue 34, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Career and Technical Education Director
- Patterson Joint Unified School District, Patterson, CA
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN