In years past, especially graduating at the end of Fall semester, teachers have had a difficult time finding full-time employment. Teachers in hard to fill areas have had less of a struggle, but mid-year employment is always a bit more difficult.
This Fall is a great time to be a teacher, especially a new teacher (first career or career changer)!
Many districts across the country will have full-time openings for second semester. These jobs will be posted now and through mid-December.
What do I need to do if I am looking for employment for second semester?
Start watching for openings and applying online now!
- Remember most districts are closed for winter break and want their openings staffed prior to break.
- If there are not any openings in your endorsement area, apply to be a substitute.
- Many districts will keep you busy, part-time to full-time, just filling in as a substitute.
- Being a substitute allows you to network and make building connections for when positions do become available.
- If you are just now looking into becoming a teacher and are not sure it is the right avenue for you, try substitute teaching.
Amy Spruce, Human Resources
Adams 12 Five Star Schools
The opinions expressed in Career Corner are strictly those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of Editorial Projects in Education, or any of its publications.