Federal

Clinton Criticizes Testing Required by NCLB

By Mark Walsh — April 24, 2007 4 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Former President Bill Clinton said last week that the federal No Child Left Behind Act requires too much testing and that if he were still in charge, he would work to amend it.

Speaking to a receptive audience of thousands of participants at the National School Boards Association’s annual convention here, Mr. Clinton said, “If I were dictator, I would get with you and make some changes in that Leave No Child Behind Act.”

“You don’t need to test every child, every year,” he said, in apparent reference to the law’s requirement that students be tested annually in reading and mathematics in grades 3-8, as well as at least once in high school.

“Maybe three times” over a student’s K-12 academic career would be enough, he suggested.

Mr. Clinton was in the San Francisco Bay Area to deliver several speeches and to make appearances at fundraisers for the presidential campaign of his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.

His main topic for the April 15 NSBA session was his recent efforts to promote healthier eating habits among young people. He touched on the initiatives of the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, a partnership between the William J. Clinton Foundation and the American Heart Association, which include working to reduce the caloric and fat content of snack foods and to get the media to stress healthy eating and the benefits of exercise.

“We’re working with the schools, not just on students, but also on teachers and other school personnel,” Mr. Clinton said.

The former president didn’t mention Sen. Clinton’s White House ambitions for 2008, but he warned the audience to be skeptical of health-care proposals during the campaign.

“Everything the presidential candidates of both parties are going to say about health care could be rendered inoperable by this nation’s obesity epidemic,” he said.

Tough Jobs

Some 14,000 school board members were gathered here from across the country, and it appeared that most of them were seated in the cavernous main hall of the Moscone Center. This was a convention that Mr. Clinton might have attended as an NSBA member if he had followed through on the idea he floated several times near the end of his presidential tenure that the only future elective office he might seek was service on the “local school board.”

He didn’t mention that idea here, but he told participants that the challenges they face in overseeing public schools “make elected school board member, after president of the United States, the toughest job in the country.”

Mr. Clinton said that when he was president, “there was never a time when every problem in education hadn’t been solved by someone, somewhere.”

But problems were being solved in pockets, he said, such as inner-city schools that overcame the odds in Washington or Chicago.

“Why can’t we replicate excellence?” he said. “And not just more tests, and teaching to the test? That’s what I’d like to see.”

“But that’s not what I came here to talk about,” Mr. Clinton said, to laughter from the audience.

Concerns over the No Child Left Behind law were much in evidence at the NSBA’s April 14-17 convention. The law—championed by President Bush and passed by Congress with large, bipartisan majorities in late 2001—holds schools accountable for the academic progress of their students, using a range of potential sanctions, and includes mandates in such areas as teacher quality.

The organization’s official position is that it welcomes the goals of the school improvement law, but that the law’s first five years have brought a host of implementation issues for districts. As Congress debates the law’s reauthorization, the NSBA is backing bills that would amend it in several key areas.

It would like greater flexibility in testing students in special education and English-language learners. It calls for several changes governing the measurement of adequate yearly progress in schools and districts, such as that they be subject to sanctions only when the same student subgroup fails to make AYP in the same subject for two consecutive years or more, instead of after just one failure under the current law.

At one session here, participants filled a meeting room to hear a presentation on the NCLB measure and the “law of unfunded mandates,” delivered by Ronald Wenkart, the general counsel of the Orange County, Calif., education department.

To the group of school board members, mostly nonlawyers, Mr. Wenkart delivered a short lesson about how Congress passed the law under its powers from the spending clause in Article I of the U.S. Constitution.

Theoretically, states aren’t subject to the law’s requirements if they don’t accept the federal funding that comes with it, he said.

“But there’s just enough money so that a state cannot turn it down, politically,” Mr. Wenkart said.

“The states don’t feel the pain of the shortfall [in federal funding for the law]. They take the money and pass the pain down to you,” the local school boards, he said.

Earlier here, at the meeting of the NSBA Council of School Attorneys, Washington lawyer John W. Borkowski likened the law’s demands to a basketball tournament in which every team must win.

“If a team does not win the championship, they will be on probation until they are champions, and coaches will be held accountable,” Mr. Borkowski said. “All kids will be expected to have the same basketball skills at the same time and in the same conditions. … All kids will play basketball at a proficient level.”

Talented players, he continued, would be asked to practice on their own, because coaches would be busy with athletes who weren’t interested in basketball or who had limited athletic ability.

“This will create a new age of sports where every school is expected to have the same level of talent and all teams will reach the same minimal goals,” Mr. Borkowski said of such a system. “If no child gets ahead, then no child will be left behind.”

A version of this article appeared in the April 25, 2007 edition of Education Week as Clinton Criticizes Testing Required by NCLB

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Student Absenteeism Webinar
Attendance Isn't an Attendance Problem
Boost attendance by strengthening relationships, belonging, and support with practical strategies from Doug Fisher & Nancy Frey.
Content provided by Corwin
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
The Principal's Role in Collective Efficacy and Student Outcomes
Learn practical strategies that help principals translate their confidence into stronger collective teacher efficacy and student outcomes.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Education Department Tells Schools Race Can’t Factor Into Student Discipline
A letter to educators follows up on last month's rescission of longstanding discrimination rules.
5 min read
Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights for the Department of Education nominee Kimberly Richey testifies before the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee about her nomination in Washington, D.C., on June 5, 2025.
Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Kimberley Richey testifies before the Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee at her nomination hearing in Washington on June 5, 2025. A new letter to educators from Richey instructs schools not to consider race at all in school discipline policies, following the Trump administration's rescission of longtime anti-discrimination rules.
Jason Andrew for Education Week
Federal Q&A What Head Start's English-Only Rule Could Mean for English Learners
Research shows it's not necessary to lose a home language to learn English.
3 min read
Long Beach, CA - March 20 : Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach , a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, CA.
Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach, a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, Calif. Head Start programs for early childhood education will no longer promote bilingualism under a proposed rule change.
Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times via TNS
Federal After Months of Standstill, Ed. Dept. Announces New Federal Research Funding
The agency outlined its fiscal 2027 grantmaking amid questions about its sluggish spending.
7 min read
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington, D.C. on Friday, July 17, 2026.
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington on Friday, July 17, 2026. Federal funding for education research may be starting to flow, even as the overall spending picture remains unclear.
Eric Lee for Education Week
Federal Trump Signs Executive Order Calling for Spacing Out Childhood Vaccines
The order calls for splitting the MMR vaccine into three separate shots, a sequence not currently available in the U.S.
3 min read
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting to sign an executive order about vaccines, Monday, Aug. 10, 2026, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington.
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House on Aug. 10, 2026. Trump signed an executive order to change childhood vaccination schedules.
Jacquelyn Martin/ AP Photo