Federal

Choice, SES Would Flip Under Plan

U.S. officials to expand pilot on NCLB sanctions.
By Erik W. Robelen — May 23, 2006 5 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

The U.S. Department of Education is planning to expand a pilot initiative that would flip the order of key consequences for schools’ low academic performance under the No Child Left Behind Act.

Building on an initiative piloted this school year in Virginia, participating districts could offer students a choice of supplemental educational services, or SES, a year before having to provide the option of transferring to a higher-performing school. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings announced the plan last week.

While some state education officials are welcoming the new flexibility, which some of them had long sought, the effort is also facing sharp criticism.

Lawyers at two advocacy groups that want tougher enforcement of the law’s choice provisions argue that the secretary’s move oversteps legal bounds. One of the lawyers, Clint Bolick from the Phoenix-based Alliance for School Choice, said last week that his group was researching the possibility of a legal challenge.

In a May 15 letter to chief state school officers, Ms. Spellings said states that meet three eligibility criteria could apply on behalf of up to seven districts each to take part.

“If we get kids help first before the public school choice thing, as a possibility, [that] makes sense to me,” Ms. Spellings said in a May 17 session with reporters. “Let’s do stuff that works better.”

Under a “flexibility agreement” reached last August, the department is running a smaller pilot project in four districts in Virginia. The pilot marked the first time the agency had granted a waiver of the actual provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act itself. (“NCLB Waiver Lets Virginia Offer Tutoring Before Choice,” Sept. 7, 2005.)

The normal order calls for districts to offer school choice first, after a school receiving federal Title I aid has not made adequate yearly progress, or AYP, for two consecutive years. If the school fails for a third year, the district must also give students free access to supplemental services such as tutoring.

Even many supporters of the 4-year-old No Child Left Behind law have called that order illogical.

Ms. Spellings wrote in her letter that the “positive results” in the Virginia pilot showed that offering the flexibility on a broader scale was warranted. At the same time, the letter warns that the department is prepared to take “significant enforcement action” against states and districts that fail to meet the choice and SES requirements, including possible withholding of federal funds.

Eligibility Limited

With the June 19 deadline for applications nearing, Valerie A. Woodruff, Delaware’s education secretary, predicted that her state will likely pursue the new flexibility.

“It makes more sense to give schools the opportunity to meet the needs of kids … before you just go wildly into choice,” she said.

Jack Jennings, the president of the Center on Education Policy, a Washington research and advocacy group that has monitored the law’s implementation, says he sees the department’s move as significant.

“In our surveying over the last four years, this has been a common recommendation from school districts and states,” said Mr. Jennings, a former longtime aide to Democrats on the House education committee.

But he estimated that more than half of states might not be eligible.

“There’s a whole slew of conditions on it,” he said. “Those conditions will limit this considerably.”

To participate in the pilot, states must have determined whether schools had made AYP before the start of the academic year for this school year and last; have an evaluation of SES providers under way; and have their assessment system fully or conditionally approved by the Education Department or have such approval “expected,” according to information accompanying Ms. Spellings’ letter.

For a district to participate, it must have issued “timely” notification letters to parents on both choice and SES over the past two years.

Jeff Simering, the legislative director for the Washington-based Council of the Great City Schools, which represents the nation’s largest urban school districts, suggested that while the new flexibility was “reasonable,” he does not believe it will mean much.

He said Education Department officials have long suggested that districts should make supplemental services available when choice is not a realistic option.

“We’ve heard that for the last three or four years, so I don’t think this is a major change,” he said.

He also said the issue is a moot point for a large number of Title I schools that under the law already have to meet both the choice and supplemental-services options.

Legality Questioned

Dianne M. Piché, the executive director of the Citizens’ Commission on Civil Rights, a Washington-based watchdog group, sharply criticized the department’s plans.

“We’ve been monitoring implementation, and with very few exceptions, school districts are doing a terrible job in finding spaces and offering parents the opportunity to transfer to a better school, as they’re required to do,” she said. “And so it baffles me that we wouldn’t be trying to find more ways to provide more choices for parents instead of restricting parents’ options under the law.”

Ms. Piché, a lawyer, also questioned the move’s legality. “There’s no statutory authority to do this,” she contended.

Mr. Bolick of the school choice alliance agreed. “It seems completely outside the secretary’s authority,” he said. “The law is very explicit about the rights children have.”

His group filed a formal complaint with the department in March charging that two Southern California districts had failed to offer choice under the law. (“Complaint Targets NCLB Transfers in Calif.,” March 29, 2006.)

But Valerie L. Smith, an Education Department spokeswoman, argued that the federal agency has clear authority to take such steps, citing Section 9401 of the law. This section, she wrote in an e-mail, states that, with limited exceptions, “the secretary may waive any statutory or regulatory requirements of this act” for a state, district, or school.

On the enforcement front, Ms. Spellings cited concerns about weak compliance by some states and districts with the school choice and tutoring options under the law.

“In most cases, when [districts] are out of compliance with public school choice and [the SES provisions], I will place conditions on state grants and consider withholding federal funds or entering into a compliance agreement,” she wrote.

Mr. Bolick said he was pleased by those comments, but suggested the secretary’s letter sent mixed messages.

“Waivers and enforcement actions simply don’t mix,” he said.

Staff Writer Michelle R. Davis contributed to this report.
A version of this article appeared in the May 24, 2006 edition of Education Week as Choice, SES Would Flip Under Plan

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Teaching Webinar
Closing the Practice Gap: Essential Insights for Leaders
Three instructional experts will share strategies for making students’ reading and math practice more engaging and impactful this year.
Content provided by Renaissance
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Student Absenteeism Webinar
Attendance Isn't an Attendance Problem
Boost attendance by strengthening relationships, belonging, and support with practical strategies from Doug Fisher & Nancy Frey.
Content provided by Corwin
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
The Principal's Role in Collective Efficacy and Student Outcomes
Learn practical strategies that help principals translate their confidence into stronger collective teacher efficacy and student outcomes.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Q&A What Head Start's English-Only Rule Could Mean for English Learners
Research shows it's not necessary to lose a home language to learn English.
3 min read
Long Beach, CA - March 20 : Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach , a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, CA.
Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach, a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, Calif. Head Start programs for early childhood education will no longer promote bilingualism under a proposed rule change.
Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times via TNS
Federal After Months of Standstill, Ed. Dept. Announces New Federal Research Funding
The agency outlined its fiscal 2027 grantmaking amid questions about its sluggish spending.
7 min read
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington, D.C. on Friday, July 17, 2026.
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington on Friday, July 17, 2026. Federal funding for education research may be starting to flow, even as the overall spending picture remains unclear.
Eric Lee for Education Week
Federal Trump Signs Executive Order Calling for Spacing Out Childhood Vaccines
The order calls for splitting the MMR vaccine into three separate shots, a sequence not currently available in the U.S.
3 min read
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting to sign an executive order about vaccines, Monday, Aug. 10, 2026, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington.
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House on Aug. 10, 2026. Trump signed an executive order to change childhood vaccination schedules.
Jacquelyn Martin/ AP Photo
Federal Trump Overhaul Could Gut Head Start Preschool Standards
The plan would shrink Head Start's 100-plus pages of regulations to about a dozen.
5 min read
Children play during aftercare for the Head Start program at Easterseals South Florida, Jan. 29, 2025, in Miami.
Children play during aftercare for the Head Start program at Easterseals South Florida in Miami on Jan. 29, 2025. The Trump administration is preparing an overhaul of Head Start that would replace its 100 pages of regulations with about a dozen and leave many specifics on program operations up to state and local laws.
Rebecca Blackwell/AP Photo