Over 150 Teachers Are Running for State Office. Here’s What We Know About Them
In a year defined by educator activism, there has been an unprecedented wave of teachers running for office. At least 157 current teachers have filed to run for state legislative seats, an original Education Week analysis has found. Those teachers—and their party affiliations, school districts, subjects taught, and other relevant information—are included in this searchable database.
More on this database:
- • EdWeek has limited this database to current teachers running for their state legislatures. In the aftermath of the statewide teacher strikes and protests this spring, we wanted to shine a light on the teachers who are seeking to join a body that determines their pay and other policies that directly affect their profession.
- • So far, EdWeek has collected the most data on candidates in Arizona, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and West Virginia—states with significant teacher unrest.
- • We collected the information from a variety of sources, including teacher organizations, news reports, and direct submissions through an online form.
- • EdWeek staff has verified each candidate.
- • We will continue adding to and updating this database in the months leading up to the November election, in the hopes of creating a comprehensive look at this new breed of teacher activism sweeping the country.
Know a teacher running for state office? Use our online form to send us their name and information.
Know a teacher running for state office? Use our online form to send us their name and information.Reporting: Maya Riser-Kositsky, Madeline Will, and Daarel Burnette II
Design & Visualization: Maya Riser-Kositsky, Vanessa Solis
• Fed-Up Teachers Are Running for Office in Oklahoma. Can They Win?
• Teacher Activists Take Fight to the Polls
• What Makes a Teacher of the Year Run for Political Office?
• If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em: Teachers Run for Office in Oklahoma (Video)
This database was originally published July 17, 2018, with the headline, “Over 100 Teachers Are Running for State Office. Here’s What We Know About Them”.