Federal

U.S. Orders Alabama District to Offer NCLB Transfers

By Erik W. Robelen — January 03, 2006 2 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

The U.S. Department of Education has ordered the Birmingham, Ala., school district to allow students from a dozen low-performing middle schools to transfer to other schools under the No Child Left Behind Act.

Letters from the 34,000-student school district were to have gone out in late December notifying parents of more than 5,000 students that they could choose an alternative public school for the second semester. Those letters came in response to a Dec. 13 order from the federal education agency.

William L. Taylor, the chairman of the Washington-based Citizens’ Commission on Civil Rights, a private watchdog group that is tracking implementation of the NCLB school transfer provisions, said he was not aware of any other instances in which the federal government has ordered a specific district to offer choice.

The order came after Citizens for Better Schools, a Birmingham-based advocacy group, challenged the district over its compliance with the school choice provision of the 4-year-old federal law. “The regulations are very clear, at least as far as we are concerned,” said Ronald E. Jackson, the executive project director for the group.

“Laws are not self-executing, and No Child Left Behind will not work until parents and public-advocacy groups … make sure that local school boards, no matter how much they disagree with the law, comply with it and try to make it work,” he added.

Officials from the Birmingham district could not be reached for comment last week.

Tutoring Offered Instead

Under the federal law, if a school that receives federal Title I anti-poverty funding does not make adequate yearly progress in student performance for two or more consecutive years, it is considered “in need of improvement.” At that point, the district is required to offer families the option of sending their children to a school not in that category. After a third year of failing to make AYP, schools must offer students access to free tutoring, known under the law as supplemental educational services.

A statement by the Birmingham school board said district officials thought they were complying with the law by offering tutoring to students in affected schools.

“District administrators believed No Child Left Behind allowed the district to make that offer instead of the transfer option,” according to a board statement quoted by The Birmingham News.

Mr. Jackson said the district maintained that it didn’t have space to accommodate the students in other schools. Most middle schools in the district have been labeled as needing improvement.

Maggie Rivers, who heads federal programs at the Alabama Department of Education, said a main concern of the district was that even those schools that were not technically subject to the federal law’s sanctions were low-performing.

State Request Rejected

The state itself had asked the federal government whether the district might wait until next school year, given that it believes the remaining schools may not make AYP, but the U.S. Education Department rejected the request.

In August, U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings agreed to a pilot program allowing four districts in Virginia to effectively reverse the order of the NCLB sanctions and offer tutoring in the second year and transfers in the third.

The move marked the first time the federal department used its power to waive provisions of the statute itself rather than simply grant regulatory flexibility in how the law is carried out. (“NCLB Waiver Lets Virginia Offer Tutoring Before Choice,” Sept. 7, 2005.)

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Hidden Costs of Special Ed Vacancies: Solutions for Your District
When provider vacancies hit, students feel it first. Hear what district leaders are doing to keep IEP-related services on track.
Content provided by Huddle Up
Mathematics K-12 Essentials Forum Middle and High School Math: How to Get Struggling Learners on Track
Join this free virtual event to uncover the nature of students’ weaknesses in secondary-level math and find a path forward.
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Privacy & Security Webinar
How Technology Is Reshaping Childhood
How do we protect kids online while embracing innovation? Learn about navigating safety, privacy, and opportunity in the Digital Age.
Content provided by Connect x Protect

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Senate Days Are Numbered for Top Republican Charged With Ed. Dept. Oversight
Sen. Bill Cassidy was vying for a third term in the Senate but lost his primary over the weekend.
4 min read
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., right, hugs a supporter during an election night watch party Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Baton Rouge, La.
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., right, hugs a supporter during an election night watch party on Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Baton Rouge, La. Cassidy leads the Senate committee charged with education policy. He was vying for a third Senate term but lost his primary over the weekend.
Gerald Herbert/AP
Federal Opinion Trump's K-12 Leader: Let’s Improve Assessment Without Sacrificing Accountability
The Ed. Dept. is shrinking the federal footprint but raising academic expectations, says Kirsten Baesler.
Kirsten Baesler
4 min read
A pencil leaning against the wall. The shadow of a ladder shade reflected on the wall.
Education Week + E+/Getty
Federal 'Creative' or 'Illegal?' Congress Debates Trump's Dismantling of Education Dept.
Republicans praised Linda McMahon for shrinking the federal K-12 footprint. Democrats raised concerns.
6 min read
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives to testify during the House Education and Workforce Committee hearing titled "Examining the Policies and Priorities of the Department of Education," in Rayburn building on Thursday, May 14, 2026.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives to testify during the House Education and Workforce Committee hearing on Thursday, May 14, 2026. She defended the movement of dozens of her department's programs to other agencies and a budget proposal that would eliminate dozens of federal education programs.
Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call via AP
Federal Democrats Challenge Plan to Dismantle Office for English Learners
The Education Department notified Congress in February of its plans to dismantle OELA.
6 min read
Collage of the Capitol building and McMahon.
Collage with Jason Andrew for Education Week + Canva