IDEA Reauthorization: Key Provisions
- Mediation: States would be required to set up voluntary mediation systems for parents and school districts that are at odds over a disabled student's education.
- Legal fees: Parents who prevail in a court case could no longer collect lawyers' fees for mediation or for meetings on students' individualized education plans unless such a meeting was ordered as a result of administrative or judicial action.
- Performance goals and assessments: States would be required to set goals for disabled students and to create indicators to measure progress.
- Personnel: Districts in areas with shortages of qualified personnel would be allowed to hire people who are making progress toward meeting the state's standards within three years.
- Private school placement: Districts would be required to pay for
a private school placement only when an appropriate public placement
is not available and when parents first go through the appropriate
procedures with the district.