- Proposed legislation is a block grant allowing flexible spending on programs that have not been allocated specific amounts. A (*) indicates previously free-standing programs that are included in the block grant for that category.
- Federal funding for the Goals 2000 and school-to-work programs was scheduled to end in FY 2000.
- Not all programs in this category are listed. Items shown do not add to total.
- Administered by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Administered by the Department of Labor.
- Administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, a division of the Department of the Interior.
- The national Science Foundation and the Corporation for Nation Service function as independent agencies.
- Numbers shown in parentheses indicate obligations owed to the government, rather than anticipated expenditures.
SOURCES: U.S. Congress, Department of Education, Interior, Labor, and Health and Human Services, Office of Management and Budget.