"Adolescent Health Highlight"
Although about one in five adolescents has a mental-health disorder, 60 percent to 90 percent of them don't ask for or receive treatment, a research brief from the nonprofit Child Trends says. And schools are often the first to identify the mental-health needs of adolescents.
Some of the barriers to treatment are missed opportunities by schools, parents, and medical providers to prevent and identify mental-health disorders; poor coordination of services between schools, primary care providers, and social service systems; and the stigma associated with mental health disorders, the brief says.
Vol. 32, Issue 20, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL