"Adolescent Health Highlight"
Although about one in five adolescents has a mental-health disorder, 60 percent to 90 percent of them don't ask for or receive treatment, a research brief from the nonprofit Child Trends says. And schools are often the first to identify the mental-health needs of adolescents.
Some of the barriers to treatment are missed opportunities by schools, parents, and medical providers to prevent and identify mental-health disorders; poor coordination of services between schools, primary care providers, and social service systems; and the stigma associated with mental health disorders, the brief says.
Vol. 32, Issue 20, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA