"Adolescent Health Highlight"
Although about one in five adolescents has a mental-health disorder, 60 percent to 90 percent of them don't ask for or receive treatment, a research brief from the nonprofit Child Trends says. And schools are often the first to identify the mental-health needs of adolescents.
Some of the barriers to treatment are missed opportunities by schools, parents, and medical providers to prevent and identify mental-health disorders; poor coordination of services between schools, primary care providers, and social service systems; and the stigma associated with mental health disorders, the brief says.
Vol. 32, Issue 20, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Assistant Professor of Education: Educational Leadership/Teacher Leadership
- Maryville University, MO
- Chief Academic Officer
- The Partnership for Inner-City Education, New York, NY
- Supervisor, Secondary Literacy Instruction
- Montgomery County Public Schools, MD
- Plainfield Director of Special Services
- New England School Development Council, Meriden, NH
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL