News in Brief
Federal Spec. Ed. Chief Rejoins Private Sector
Alexa Posny, the head of the office of special education at the U.S. Department of Education since 2009, left the position earlier this month.
Ms. Posny left to become a senior vice president at Renaissance Learning, which sells screening programs, interventions, and progress-monitoring tools in mathematics and reading.
Michael Yudin, who most recently served as the deputy assistant secretary of the office for elementary and secondary education, will be the interim director.
As assistant secretary, Ms. Posny worked on preserving and expanding the inclusion of students with disabilities in various ways, but some disability advocates felt the department did not come down hard enough on reforming the restraint and seclusion of students with disabilities. In the George W. Bush administration, she also served as director of the office of special education.
Vol. 32, Issue 01, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Educational Leader
- The Belleville Public School District, NJ
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery CSD, Highland Falls, NY
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations