Special Ed. Students Get a Spot on the Team
For years, Tumaini Mporampora attended the same schools as students with intellectual disabilities.
It wasn’t until her senior year, when her high school began mixing students with disabilities with other students on the basketball team, on the dance squad, and in track and field, that some of them became her friends.
“It’s almost like ... they’re in their own little school,” Ms. Mporampora, 18, said of some of her classmates here at Overland High School outside Denver, and the integrated sports teams helped...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Orleans Parish School District, New Orleans, LA
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Louis Park, MN
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Superintendent of Schools - SAU 9
- SAU 9 - Conway, NH, Conway, NH