News in Brief
Report: Teacher Tenure Weaker in Some States
America's public school teachers are seeing their generations-old tenure protections weakened as states seek flexibility to fire teachers who aren't performing. A few states have essentially nullified tenure protections altogether, according to an analysis released last week by the National Council on Teacher Quality.
In 2009, no state required student performance to be central to whether a teacher is awarded tenure; today, eight states do. The analysis also says four states now want evidence that students are learning before awarding tenure.
Vol. 31, Issue 19, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Winchester School Committee, Winchester, MA
- Head of School
- Triangle Associates, Pottersville, NJ
- Township High School District 113, Highland Park, IL
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Katonah-Lewisboro School District, Katonah, NY