"2011 Report Card on the Effectiveness of Teacher Training Programs"
Tennessee teachers certified through Teach For America and Lipscomb University in Nashville outperform veteran teachers, according to a state report on teacher training.
The report, produced by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, shows which of the state's teacher programs tend to produce teachers who boost students' test scores and which do not.
Teach For America in Memphis and Nashville outshone traditional college programs and alternative-certification programs statewide. Nine other training programs were cited as yielding less effective teachers.
The state report card includes data only on the 35 percent of teachers in state-tested subjects and grades.
Nationally, the TFA program admits top college graduates who commit to teaching two years in high-poverty schools.
Vol. 31, Issue 11, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Director II-Sudent Support Services
- Deer Valley Unified School District, Phoenix, AZ
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ