"2011 Report Card on the Effectiveness of Teacher Training Programs"
Tennessee teachers certified through Teach For America and Lipscomb University in Nashville outperform veteran teachers, according to a state report on teacher training.
The report, produced by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, shows which of the state's teacher programs tend to produce teachers who boost students' test scores and which do not.
Teach For America in Memphis and Nashville outshone traditional college programs and alternative-certification programs statewide. Nine other training programs were cited as yielding less effective teachers.
The state report card includes data only on the 35 percent of teachers in state-tested subjects and grades.
Nationally, the TFA program admits top college graduates who commit to teaching two years in high-poverty schools.
Vol. 31, Issue 11, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Director: Assessment, Research & Evaluation
- Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, Santa Monica, CA
- Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI
- Executive Director
- Charter School NYC, New York, NY
- Head of School
- Brownell-Talbot School, Omaha, NE