Ex-Union Chief to Lead Charter
The former president of the United Teachers Los Angeles, who in that role was a frequent critic of charter schools, is now launching a charter school organization. A.J. Duffy, 67, will be executive director of the newly formed Apple Charter Academy Public Schools. As a union leader, he often spoke against charter schools, saying they siphoned off union membership, cherry-picked pupils, and typically enrolled low numbers of special-needs children and English-language learners.
Vol. 31, Issue 03, Page 5
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Regional Area Partner
- Focus EduVation, US
- Chief Executive Officer
- Prince George's County Public Schools, Prince George`s County, MD
- Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
- Roanoke City Public Schools, Roanoke, VA
- Christ the King Preparatory School, NJ