"AfterZone: Outcomes for Youth Participating in Providence's Citywide After-School System"
A new study shows that middle school students enrolled in a citywide after-school program in Providence, R.I., had better school attendance records than peers who did not participate.
The study found school absences among 7th graders enrolled in the AfterZone program for two years were 25 percent lower than for nonparticipating peers. After two years in the program, students’ math scores improved by about one-third of a grade. Students also developed better social skills after one year of participation.
Public/Private Ventures, a nonprofit research group, conducted the study of 763 students in six Providence middle schools.
Vol. 31, Issue 02, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH