News in Brief
Ala. Teachers' Group Sues Over Dues-Deduction Law
The Alabama Education Association has filed a federal lawsuit challenging a Republican-backed law that would make it harder for the teachers' group to collect membership dues. It argues that the law arose because GOP lawmakers were angry about the association's traditional support of Democrats.
The law, set to go into effect March 20, blocks school employees from having AEA membership dues automatically deducted from their paychecks.
The lawsuit says that the law serves no legitimate government interest and that the AEA was singled out. It asserts that if the AEA is unable to collect dues through payroll deductions, the group will lose revenue and members.
Vol. 30, Issue 23, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC
- Director of Special Education
- Reading School District, Reading, PA
- Science Teacher
- Cle Elum-Roslyn School District, Cle Elum, WA