News in Brief
Ruling: Va. Students' Phones, Laptops Can Be Searched
Students' cellphones and laptops can be seized and searched by public school officials, Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli wrote in a recent advisory opinion.
But to do so, school officials must have reasonable grounds to suspect that the student has violated school rules or the law, Mr. Cuccinelli wrote, citing a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. “The supervision and operation of schools present ‘special needs’ beyond normal law enforcement and, therefore, a different framework is justified,” he said.
He also stressed that any sexually explicit material involving a minor discovered during such searches should be shared only with law enforcement and not with other school personnel.
Vol. 30, Issue 14, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA