News in Brief
Incumbent Loses D.C. Union Vote
Nathan Saunders has won a tight and contentious race over incumbent George Parker for the presidency of the approximately 4,000-member Washington Teachers’ Union.
Mr. Saunders, who is a former businessman and social studies teacher, and other newly elected WTU officers had been sharply critical of several initiatives that were launched during former Chancellor Michelle Rhee’s three-year tenure, including a recently approved contract that included performance-based raises and the controversial IMPACT evaluation system that led to scores of teachers being fired last summer.
They will now have to work with interim Chancellor Kaya Henderson, who helped develop the impact evaluation system while deputy chancellor under Ms. Rhee.
Vol. 30, Issue 14, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA