News in Brief
N.Y.C. Union Sues Over Teacher Data
New York City officials agreed last week to delay the planned release of performance ratings based on student test scores for 12,000 teachers until a Nov. 24 court hearing.
The United Federation of Teachers sought an injunction to block the release, arguing that the ratings are based on unproven methodology. Several New York-based news organizations filed requests for the information after the Los Angeles Times obtained—and published—similar information on individual teachers.
Natalie Ravitz, a school district spokeswoman, said, "We continue to believe that it is our obligation, under the law, to provide this data, but will await the courts ruling after a full briefing."
Vol. 30, Issue 09, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA