News in Brief
Chicago Changes Layoff Rules
The Chicago board of education approved a policy last month for laying off teachers that would dismiss tenured teachers rated ineffective before dipping into the ranks of higher-rated novices. Newly elected Chicago Teachers Union head Karen Lewis assailed the policy, calling it illegal. The district argued that a provision in state law allows it to deviate from the seniority-based system spelled out in the contract.
Vol. 29, Issue 36, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC