News in Brief
Calif. District Drops Lessons About Anti-Gay Bullying
A San Francisco Bay Area school board will use broad lessons against bias to replace a curriculum against bullying gay people.
The vote by the Alameda board of education on Dec. 8 did little to ease tensions in the island city near Oakland. A lawsuit and threats of recalling school board members accompanied debate over the “Lesson 9” curriculum adopted in May to prevent anti-gay bullying.
The new anti-bullying lessons approved by the board, at the recommendation of Superintendent Kirsten Vital, will be supplemented by children's books that explicitly address six specific forms of bias, including against homosexuals.
Vol. 29, Issue 15, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN