News in Brief
Utah District Cleared on ESL
Federal monitoring of the Salt Lake City school district over its teaching of English as a second language has ended. The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights had been monitoring the district over a 2001 discrimination complaint that alleged the district had too few teachers trained to teach ESL. In 2001, the district had 97 ESL-endorsed teachers. Today it has about 900 trained in ESL.
Vol. 28, Issue 28, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Claypit Hill Elementary School, Wayland, MA
- High School Director at KIPP Delta Public Schools
- On-Ramps, Blytheville, AR
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ