News in Brief
Gay-Straight Student Club Must Be Allowed, Fla. Judge Says
A federal judge in Jacksonville, Fla., has ruled that a student club promoting tolerance for gays must be allowed to meet at Yulee High School in north Florida.
U.S. District Judge Henry Adams handed down the decision March 11 in the case involving two Yulee students against the Nassau County school board. He ordered the district to grant official recognition of the Gay-Straight Alliance and give it the same privileges as any other student organization.
The district had argued in court that its main objection was the name of the club and said it would grant access if the group changed its name. But the judge ruled that the group did not need to make a change.
The American Civil Liberties Union had filed suit on behalf of gay students Jacob Brock and Hannah Page.
Vol. 28, Issue 25, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Tredyffrin/Easttown School District, Wayne, PA
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, Houston, TX
- Part-time AP class instructors - remote
- Ascendant Institute, US
- K-12 Teaching Jobs, Available Nationwide
- CS&A, US
- The New School Montessori, Cincinnati, OH