"The 2007 National School Climate Survey"
Nearly nine out of 10 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students experienced some form of harassment at school in the past year, a new national survey of 6,200 middle and high school students has found.
In the survey, conducted by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, more than 86 percent of students reported they were verbally harassed, 44 percent said they were physically harassed, and 22 percent reported being physically assaulted at school because of their sexual orientation.
The network, a national education organization that pushes for safe schools for all students, is launching a public education campaign with the Ad Council that will feature TV public-service announcements to address teenagers’ use of anti-gay language and expressions.
Vol. 28, Issue 08, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- Associate Superintendent of School Performance
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Annapolis, MD
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations