"The 2007 National School Climate Survey"
Nearly nine out of 10 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students experienced some form of harassment at school in the past year, a new national survey of 6,200 middle and high school students has found.
In the survey, conducted by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, more than 86 percent of students reported they were verbally harassed, 44 percent said they were physically harassed, and 22 percent reported being physically assaulted at school because of their sexual orientation.
The network, a national education organization that pushes for safe schools for all students, is launching a public education campaign with the Ad Council that will feature TV public-service announcements to address teenagers’ use of anti-gay language and expressions.
Vol. 28, Issue 08, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- ISS iFair
- International Schools Services, US
- Enrollment Ombudsman
- Hempstead Union Free School District, Long Island, NY
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Principal K3-8
- Summerville Catholic School, Summerville, SC
- Teaching and Learning Specialist
- Southern Poverty Law Center, Montgomery, AL