"The 2007 National School Climate Survey"
Nearly nine out of 10 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students experienced some form of harassment at school in the past year, a new national survey of 6,200 middle and high school students has found.
In the survey, conducted by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, more than 86 percent of students reported they were verbally harassed, 44 percent said they were physically harassed, and 22 percent reported being physically assaulted at school because of their sexual orientation.
The network, a national education organization that pushes for safe schools for all students, is launching a public education campaign with the Ad Council that will feature TV public-service announcements to address teenagers’ use of anti-gay language and expressions.
Vol. 28, Issue 08, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Secondary Teachers
- Roaring Fork School District, Glenwood Spgs, CO
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL