UNESCO Report Calls for Ed. Tech. Training
ICT Competency Standards for Teachers
If teachers around the world do not take part in more professional-development training in information and communication technologies, or ICT, they will continue to lack the skills necessary to integrate technology into the classroom and improve student learning, concludes a report by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization .
Curriculum- and technology-training providers do not have a comprehensive set of international guidelines for training, and as a consequence, teachers in many countries have not developed the skills necessary to integrate technology into classroom curricula, says UNESCO, the Paris-based body of the United Nations that promotes international cooperation in education, science, and culture. It wrote the report in collaboration with the Washington-based International Society for Technology in Education, a nonprofit group that sets standards for how educators should use technology to improve student learning, and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, in Blacksburg, Va.
UNESCO’S goal in producing the report is to establish a basic set of skills and qualifications that educators must acquire and to encourage countries to provide professional development to help them develop those skills.
The technology-standards project—launched last week in London—released three booklets that outline the policy framework for the effort and the guidelines for the skills educators should be developing.
Vol. 27, Issue 19, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO