‘Copycatting’ May Produce More Threats
School leaders should brace for more of the kinds of threats that forced lockdowns and evacuations at campuses around the country last week after the shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, experts warned.
Some of last week’s threats directly mentioned the April 16 shootings in Blacksburg, Va., while others referred to the Columbine High School killings in Colorado in 1999. The eighth anniversary of those slayings was last Friday, April 20.
The midweek revelation that Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech gunman, had referred to the Columbine High killers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, as “martyrs” in a package of video clips and writings he sent to NBC News heightened concerns about threats of copycat...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Amargosa Valley Elementary School, Amargosa Valley, NV
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Charter School Director (Head of School)
- International Preparatory Academy, Detroit, MI
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations