Proposition 227 Study Left an Open Question
To the Editor:
The five-year study of California’s Proposition 227 described in your article "Prop. 227 Seen as Focusing on ‘Wrong Issue’" (March 1, 2006) shows there is no difference between English immersion and bilingual education when it comes to the learning effectiveness of one method over the other. But it left out the forced immersion of non-Spanish-speaking, non-English-speaking students, who are required to be immersed for two reasons: lack of teachers and lack of political clout. Do these English-immersed groups perform better on English tests?
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Open House
- Horace Mann School, Bronx, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- North Shore School District, Nassau County, NY
- Senior Practice Associate – K-12 Math
- The Education Trust, Washington, DC
- Principal, New High School in Bonita Springs, FL
- Lee County Schools, Bonita Springs, FL
- Transformation/Turnaround K8 School Principal
- Avant Garde Academy, Kissimmee, FL